Panama Jamison Savage Geisha CM Jasper 'Prism'
[ 1 ] Coffee
Farmer: Jamison Savage
Farm: Savage Coffee
Process: Carbonic Maceration Jasper 'Prism'
[ 2 ] Notes
Flavor notes: Strawberry - Cherry - Milk Caramel
[ 3 ] Story
Jamison Savage is the owner of Finca Deborah and Morgan Estate.
He is regarded as one of the best coffee producers in Panama, and the world.
His coffees are frequently represented in the world stage at various coffee competitions and many awarded as winners.
This lot 'Panama Jamison Savage Geisha CM Jasper Prism' is his finest work yet came out of his new venture 'Salvage Coffee'
Jamison initiated this project in 2019 to push the boundaries of processing for competitions and unique flavor experience. He sources single variety, high altitude grown, quality coffee cherries from neighboring producers, in Volcan and Boquete.
He then utilizes unique processing methods such as: extended cool fermentation, chill process, carbonic maceration, extended fermentation, traditional natural and washed.
This project allows him to experiment and work with other dedicated producers to create something truly unique and special.
This particular lot is called 'Prism'
100% Geisha variety and Carbonic Maceration Jasper profile was used to accentuate the red fruits, deep cherry flavors.
Here are the processing details:
- Picking of only dark red cherries, separated by sections of the farm. (20-22 Brix)
- Cherries are placed inside sealed tanks and filled with CO2 pushing oxygen out.
- Controlled yeast activity, temperature & humidity of tanks.
- Extended coffee-skin contact and anaerobic fermentation time intensifies fruit characters bringing deep fruit flavors and rich mouthfeel and length to the cup.
- Removed from tank and rinsed, then laid on raised beds. (20-25days)
[ 4 ] Brewing
V60/Kalita > Aeropress > Clever Dripper > Plunger / French Press
Coffee to Water Ratio
55-60g of coffee: 1L of water
Grind size - Table Salt like / Coffee 12g: Water 200g / Water temp 92C / Inverted method. Steep 2min and quick stir and push
Grind size - Table Salt like / Coffee 12g: Water 200g / Water temp 92C / Steep 2min and drain
-Plunger / French Press
Grind size - Table Salt like (finer than above) / Coffee 60g: Water 1000g / Water temp 92C / Steep 5min, gently push down the crust with a spoon, plunge it gently
Grind size - Coarse ground pepper-like/ Coffee 15g: Water 250g / Water temp 90C / Total brew time 2:00-2:30. Pour water in 4 phases, keep the water level above the coffee bed
- Too weak and dry finish ➞ Grind Finer
- Too strong and sour ➞ Grind coarser